How Can I Volunteer?
Time is just as valuable to the HSOPCVA as money. Volunteers perform many tasks that allow us to continue helping the animals. THANK YOU to each and every one of you who give your time for the animals!
Click below to download a volunteer application
Click below to download our volunteer manual
Thinking about volunteering but not sure what you can do? Some of our many volunteer opportunities include:
- Meet & Greet: We’re always looking for polite, out-going folks who enjoy talking to the public about our animals. You can give tours, help out with the adoption process, or just be that friendly face they see when they walk into the shelter.
- Dog Walkers & Trainers: You can help socialize and exercise our dogs. Some dogs come to the shelter already housebroken, and they depend on kind volunteers to take them out. Others just need to get out and stretch their legs! Teaching the dogs simple tricks like “sit”, “down”, or “shake” can make them much more attractive to potential adopters.
- Cat Cuddles: You can pet, socialize, and feed our Condo Cats. Our longhair kitties need extra love and brushing and there are always kittens that need to snuggle and play
- Fosters: You can provide a temporary home for animals that have been rescued from the shelter. While an animal is in foster care, the HSOPCVA provides food and medical attention (spay/neuter, vaccinations, and anything else needed), but foster homes provide the space, interaction, and caring these animals need to recover from injuries, become socialized, or just get away from life in a kennel. This is an especially good opportunity for someone who enjoys the companionship of an animal, but spends a lot of time traveling or is unable to have a pet year round.
- Rescue & Transport: When dogs and cats need to get to rescues and other shelters, we sometimes need people with vehicles who can drive to get them there! Have an SUV or van? That’s perfect for large dogs. Car? Perfect for smaller dogs and cats. Don’t want to drive? You can still help get animals ready to go!
- Spay/Neuter: Become a part of the crew and help out in the HSOPCVA Spay and Neuter Clinic! We always need extra hands to clean instruments, wrangle animals, or assist with pets recovering from surgery!
- General Volunteers: You can weed flowerbeds, wash windows, dust floors, organize supplies, or help out with any other tasks or events we have going on. There’s something for everyone!
- Events: We often needs assistance and volunteers for our events. Please click here to see our upcoming events.
There is always something to do at the shelter!
Even just a few minutes can make a huge difference.